| 1.1 Billion Catholics Worldwide
 

Parish History continued from previous page

Father Heagney, at that time pastor but residing in Camden, having charge of the Catholic Church for quite a number of years, felt that the time was ripe for the final step in the completion of the church development. In March, 1923, Dr. H.A. Heagney, for thirteen years President of Little Rock College, resigned and was appointed pastor by Bishop Morris. Doctor Heagney upon his arrival in El Dorado found a splendid organization. The Board of Wardens were hard and active workers and the Ladies' Aid Society with Mrs. Sample as President, had and was accomplishing wonders. Mrs. Bullion was in charge of the Sunday School, which was well organized with about seventy-five children under regular and systematic instruction. A property, 117 feet fronting on West Main Street and 250 feet on Berry Avenue, had been purchased as a site for the new church. All this progress was accomplished since the day in which oil was discovered. A drive for funds with which to erect the new church was made by the Board of Wardens and organized units of some of the members of the Ladies' Aid Society. The people of the city irrespective of creed most generously responded and ground was broken for the new church on the twenty-fourth day of June 1923. Prior to that time the Ladies' Aid Society furnished the pastor's resident and while the church was being built the residence was remodeled. The church is of the Spanish Mission style of architecture and is 112 feet long and 40 feet wide. It is of white cement finish on the exterior with a rich dark interior finish. The windows are of colored glass. The altars, three in number, are wood with white decoration. The windows, statuary, altars, organ, pews, stations of the cross, and in fact all interior decorations and furniture, were donated by members of the congregation.

The New Millennium

Today, America's mobile population provides new members regularly to the El Dorado community and to Holy Redeemer as it takes others elsewhere.

In 1999, under the leadership of Father Gregory A. Pilcher, OSB, a building expansion began in order to accommodate the needs of the twenty-first century Church. Included in the construction were a narthex, choir room, Lady Chapel, classroom, offices, library, parish hall, kitchen and rest rooms. The Most Reverend J. Peter Sartain, the sixth bishop of Little Rock, dedicated the facilities in January 2003. In April 2010 we completed a porte cochere and added new doors at the main entrance to the Church as well as into the nave from the narthex.

Building plans are currently on the drawing board for additional classrooms, meeting space, columbarium, and a meditation garden. Change is good!

Catholic Woodpecker?

Time for Mass?

Red-Headed Woodpeckers like the one in this picture are native to a large part of the South including El Dorado.

Parish Religious Education

PRE

Parish Religious Education (PRE) is underway. Contact the parish office for more information.

Pope Francis

Lumen fidei

Lumen fidei or light of faith explains how Church tradition speaks of the great gift brought by Jesus.
 
 
Mission Statement

With our pastor, Father Edward D'Almeida, we proclaim the redeeming grace and love of Christ to each other and to the world.

Faith & Reason

The Encyclical Letter Fides et Ratio of the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II to the Bishops of The Catholic Church on the relationship between faith and reason.

Visitor Information
Contact Us

Phone: 870-863-3620 or Email us at holyredeemer@suddenlinkmail.com Address: 440 West Main Street, El Dorado, Arkansas  71730-5757